Photos of Beyonce Knowles have surfaced on blogs around the world regarding her recent “blackface” photo shoot. Blackface is a controversial form of “art” (for those who consider it art), that was originally used in minstrel and vaudeville shows to depict African American characters. It is more often than not considered degrading and offensive.
So what made this pop superstar choose to go blackface in her photo spread for L’Officiel Paris?
According to many reports, Knowles considered the blackface costume to be a tribute to Nigerian musician Fela Kuti.
Although Beyonce has been heralded as black America’s sweetheart, this blackface fiasco may relinquish that role.
Already, Twitter has been abuzz with criticisms about her choice of makeup:
- CandiReigns Candace Thomas: What’s up with Beyonce in blackface? #whack
- lovelysarah1 sarah surigao: Beyonce, Blackface, and Fashion Don’t Mix
- TTBoy28 A. H-Tecoy: Beyonce went “Blackface” with blonde hair. She says it was to pay homage to Fela Kuti. Couldn’t she have done it with “Black” hair?
And this isn’t the first time she’s come under fire for “color” issues. Just a few years ago, she was accused of lightening her images to appear white for a L’oreal Feria photo shoot.
I don’t know what the long-term effects of Beyonce’s decision to go “blackface” will be on her image, but one thing’s for sure, the short-term isn’t looking so good.
- Magazine Defends Beyonce Over ‘Blackface’ Controversy; Calls Images ‘Beautiful & Inspiring’ (omg.yahoo.com)
- Beyonce Under Fire for Blackface Photos (narmer.wordpress.com)
- Beyonce Under Fire for Blackface Photos (cinquez.wordpress.com)